What Am I Entitled To in a Personal Injury Suit?
Most people understand that victims are eligible to receive payment if they have been hurt due to someone else’s negligence or intentional misconduct. However, victims usually are unsure about the specific damages that they are entitled to under West Virginia law. Understanding the details will give you a better idea of what you can expect if you have been hurt in a car accident, a fall or some other type of incident that was triggered by another person’s carelessness.
If you’ve been injured and someone else is at fault, you can receive damages for:
- Medical expenses and related costs — Bills for doctors, hospitals and medications can be awarded in a personal injury action. Judgments can also cover expenditures such as travel expenses associated with necessary treatments.
- Pain, suffering and mental anguish — The physical and emotional pain that you experience after an injury is compensable. In a discussion with a knowledgeable lawyer, you can learn how these matters are evaluated.
- Lost wages — If your injury means that you won’t be able to work, you can pursue damages for wages and benefits that you would have earned.
- Rehabilitation costs — Many medical conditions require long-term rehabilitation and other lifestyle adjustments. A thorough lawyer will identify possible costs such as changes that need to be made to your home or vehicle to accommodate your physical limitations.
- Ongoing impairment — Should someone else’s negligence contribute to a lengthy or permanent impairment, this is an essential part of a personal injury claim.
Though many cases are resolved outside of court, an accurate assessment of potential damages is necessary to set parameters for settlement discussions. An experienced personal injury lawyer can make sure that you are negotiating from the strongest possible position.
Prim Law Firm, PLLC has recovered millions of dollars for West Virginia clients in a full range of personal injury and wrongful death cases. Please call 304-721-4619 or contact us online to schedule a free initial consultation regarding your situation. Our office is in Hurricane.